Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Emily Dickinson and Diabetes

I know, a strange pairing but Emily Dickinson best sums up how I feel now.

For someone with a known temper, I can deal fairly calmly with people spreading over-generalized, misinformation about diabetes. We've been forced to for 4 years.

I can deal fairly calmly with a lot of "best of intention" type things. At least people are trying, right?

What I am finding it really hard to deal with is my daughter being told by someone she really, really respects that there will probably never be a cure for diabetes. Especially since it was in a class setting during the time Sain is raising money for her cure!

Sain lives for a cure, she dreams of a cure, every prayer in our house ends with "and a cure for diabetes." Sure we have our days of doubts but her life depends on that cure and to have someone she idolizes tell her (and a group of other kids) that there won't be a cure is devastating.

So, to Emily Dickinson we go. This is how I feel right now:

It dropped so low in my regard
I heard it hit the ground,
And go to pieces on the stones
At the bottom of my mind;

Yet blamed the fate that fractured, less
Than I reviled myself
For entertaining plated wares
Upon my silver shelf.

-- Emily Dickinson

6 comments:

shelley said...

Angie - does Sain have an online fundraising link set up for the JDRF Beat the Bridge?

Angie said...

It's www.beatthebridge.org/goto/sain :)

PancreasMom said...

This makes me sad. You(and Emily D.) have summed it up very well.

I have not promised my son a cure, but I would NEVER discourage him, or us from beliving that there will be one in his time. We are home today sick with Ketones and we are belivers that each day, we are closer to being better and a day further away from a sick day :(

Angie said...

my exact words to Sain are always "I will do everything I can to help find a cure" She knows a cure might not come soon but sometimes that hope is what gets her (and me) through the day.

Hang in there with the ketones!

shelley said...

The Sprouffskes believe that good people like Sain will help bring about the cure for diabetes. :)

And we just donated a little to help her get closer to her goal (both towards her total and towards the cure).

We hope Thomas will be as great of a child as Sain is.

Anonymous said...

I would point out to Sain that -- I assume it was a teacher -- probably has not done very much research. There is a website joshua.levy.com. His hobby is keeping track of research and he lists all potential "Diabetes Cures." Glad that he does so; I am too busy. He has kept track of all current research, every trial and which phase it is in. Take a look; there is a lot of hope for the future. Also, there may be a lot of tools to help make diabetes less of a PITA, an implanted or noninvasive glucose monitor, smaller pump patches. Long before a cure is found, diabetes will be a lot easier to deal with. What a cruel comment!