Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Difficult Questions

I can remember a time when life was much more black and white than it is now. Although I am certain I am a better person for my grasp of the many shades of grey, I long for the days of black and white, good and evil, right and wrong.

But those days will never come back.

There is something I long to blog about, something that has happened in our world, a twist in the plot, fork in the road (you choose the cliche), but it is not my story to write. So I will honor privacy out of respect for a little girl I hardly know.

Instead I will write this...

Caring for a diabetic child is hard. It is something that takes time and effort and a heck of a lot of sleepless nights. But we (the many parents of diabetic children) do it because the consequences of not doing it are unthinkable.

None of us asked for this challenge but it was one given to us. I don't get religious in my blog -- there are plenty of religious blogs out there already -- but I view taking care of Sain as something God trusted me to do and I take it very seriously.

Now comes the difficult question -- how do you respond to a child who realizes at the age of 9 that the right answer to a tough question is not the easy answer and that same answer is not what everyone wants to hear?

I responded with honesty.

In the last weeks I have repeatedly promised Sain I will always take care of her and work with the amazing people around us to provide all the best care for her. Thank you Mom and Dad for being my back up(and for promising me you will always put Sain's well-being before mine)and Thank you Children's Hospital for guiding me and for providing a safety net even if people can't understand it.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I think you chose wisely. Honesty may be difficult but children know when they are being told an untruth. They are incredibly perceptive. The truth hurts sometimes, but with such a caring mom like yourself to offer love and support, she/they will be just fine.

Jill said...

I agree...honesty is best! I know how you feel about longing for those days before diabetes. All we can do is look forward and before long we will adjust to a new shade of color...one all our own...and our little ones will be just fine!

Take care!
Jill
http://diabetes-sweeties.blogspot.com/