Stolen from Kate's blog because I'm too preoccupied to come up with one on my own. (thus far 2009 appears to be the year of high blood sugars and moderate ketones - UGH!)
1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
All things related to an insulin pump and CGM and I cried in front of a senator. (actually I was a blubbering mess trying to tell Sain's diagnosis story to a senator)
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I tend not to make resolutions
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, one friend had a baby in May.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Canada and US
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
24 January – Sáin started on her insulin pump
05 April – Three years with this disease
19 May – Finally back in Toronto (only for a week)
29 July – We found out about Gloria’s stroke
17 September – Approval for Sáin’s CGM
02 October – Sáin started on her CGM
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Fighting and winning a CGM battle with two insurance companies
9. What was your biggest failure?
Missing too many events with good friends
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My hips are getting progressively worse (it’s hard for me to admit that) and, as always, I am the poster child for insomnia.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Medtronic Paradigm 522 insulin pump (aka “Pumpy”)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Sáin for being amazingly tough, Aidan for being Aidan, and my parents for being supportive.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Most politicians and political commentators, Greedy insurance execs and people who only know ½ the story when making assumptions
14. Where did most of your money go?
Medical, tuition, gas, Diet Mountain Dew
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
CGM and the trip back to Toronto
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Any of the millions of kindergarten songs Aidan constantly sings
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? I think happier.
b) thinner or fatter? About the same.
c) richer or poorer? About the same.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wondering whether Mats Sundin would return to the Leafs. I think they are way better off without him. Good luck Canucks!
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver with my kids – opening presents, going out for brunch, swimming and ordering room service while watching “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory”
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I fell in love with Sáin’s pump and CGM but that’s probably now the love you’re wanting.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Hockey Night in Canada and The Hour
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I’ve found hating is a waste of time and energy.
24. What was the best book you read?
“Heart and Soul” by Maeve Binchy
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Fratelli’s (I like Brit Pop)
26. What did you want and get?
Pump and CGM
27. What did you want and not get?
A cure, winning mega millions ticket, a playoff berth for the Leafs (I really want a Stanley Cup but at this point I would be happy for some post season action.)
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
“Wall-e” and “Love Guru”
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I don’t celebrate my birthday so I worked and turned 36.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Jeans and hoodies
32. What kept you sane?
Really? You’re assuming I’m sane? Sanity is something that checked out 05 April 2005!
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Healthcare and research funding
35. Who did you miss?
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Aiye (if you’re reading this – I really am glad we’ve met), other diabetic parents online, and the folks at the karate school
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
It might be tiring caring for a diabetic child but it’s a heck of a lot better than the alternative.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I see seven towers
But I only see one way out
You’ve got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice