Tuesday, September 23, 2008

education


The thing they don't teach you in the hospital is how to deal with ignorance. And trust me, there is plenty of ignorance when it comes to this disease.

When Sain was first diagnosed I didn't do too well with educating people -- I was too busy educating myself. As time progressed I got better. I was able to calmly tell them the difference between type 1 and type 2 and was even able to handle the "My (insert elderly relative here) was just diagnosed with the same disease" comments.

I have to admit that I've taken a turn for the worse in my education ability recently. Maybe it's the idiot telling me to shut up when I was explaining Sain's CGM to another mother or maybe it's people not knowing the difference between JDRF and the ADA and assuming they are supporting the same cause. Whatever it is (most likely a temper and lack of sleep) I can't handle the ignorant comments anymore.

I am tired of educating people. No, that's actually not true. I am tired of people not asking and assuming they know things they don't. For God's sake, just ask. I will answer anything and I promise not to yell.

No comments: