Monday, July 6, 2009

Interviews, diabetes and the week ahead

So, this morning I had a phone interview for an HRIS position that sounds really interesting. I was worried about doing a phone interview with both kids home. I could picture Aidan playing loudly with his Lego pirates, Sain's alarms going off or having a low, Tennyson meowing or getting the "kitty cat crazies" that he so often gets but none of this happened.

The phone interview went quite well and both kids (and the cat) were incredibly well behaved. Sain and Aidan played quietly in their rooms and Tennyson slept. Their impressive behavor earned the kids blizzards from DQ. (Tennyson will get treats when he wakes up.)

I think the interview went well. The recruiter was impressed with my background and knowledge so I am hoping for some positive results. But this lay off has really messed with my confidence. I've never really been a cocky person but in the past I've been able to believe in my skills and project at least some confidence. It's been really hard to do that of late.

On the diabetes front:
Sain's numbers have been running a bit high all summer. I just adjusted her evening basal rates and things seem to be going better. Her next endo appointment isn't until September but I am happy it's the big appointment and that they will be doing full labs. The crazy numbers seem to be indicating a spike in hormones -- oh the fun times ahead!! It's times like these that I really love Sain's CGM!

(A few people have expressed concern about my lack of health insurance and Sain's diabetes care. Luckily, Sain and Aidan are both covered through their dad's insurance. As much as I really wish I had my own health insurance right now -- there's nothing quite like the fear of illness when you are uninsured -- I would rather the kids have coverage than me. Besides, the coverage they have now is Aetna and Aetna is paying at least some of Sain's CGM!)

This week:

Today both kids have appointments with our wonderful family doctor, Dr. Molina. Both kids are getting asthma check ups and I am hoping there is something that will help both of them. Scariest moment from the last few weeks -- both kids were having pretty bad asthma attacks at the same time when Sain wheezed, "I feel low." Fun!

The rest of the week is filled with karate and (hopefully) interviews.

Saturday is packed. We have karate all morning, demo practice after that, Sain's best friend's birthday party at the karate school, then we've been invited to watch the fights (UFC) at some folks from the karate school's house. (Thank God Georges St. Pierre is fighting -- he's the only UFC fighter I know!)

Sunday Sain (and the rest of the ACMMA demo team) will be performing on the main stage at Kent Cornucopia Days at noon and both kids will be marching in the parade afterwards.

It should be a fun week. This summer is going way too quickly!

No comments: