(no candidate will be mentioned in this rant. Who you vote for is your own business just as who I vote for is mine. I don't vote party line on anything; I vote my heart and my conscience.)
There has been a lot flying around of late about the changes both presidential candidates want to make to America's health care.
Back when all I needed was routine care and long before diabetes entered our world, I thought the US had good health care. I thought if you got sick your insurance would cover what you needed.
I was wrong.
Insurance is a business and businesses exist to make money.
To all the people who think it's not their concern if someone has pre-existing conditions or if their premiums are slightly higher to cover the sickest "fellow Americans" here is what I wish for you (it might be mean and I know some people won't agree but deep down in a very honest and possibly angry place, this is my wish for you):
- May you suffer the sleepless nights I do worrying about your child's health.
- May you be told your child is 12 hours from death and will require constant medical care to survive.
- May you have to choose between food and insulin (both of which your child needs to live)
- May you have your 9 year old tell you they "will save you a spot in heaven since I will probably get there before you"
- May you fear loss of heath insurance more than loss of income.
- And may you be told a $5000 tax break is more important to people than your child's life.