Sunday, October 26, 2008

Weekend Recap

This weekend was crazy -- but that's not news.

Friday -- well, to be perfectly honesy, I don't remember what we did Friday night. I know there was no karate, no school events, and no JDRF events. We must've stayed in. (hmmm, very unlike us!)

Saturday -- got the kids over to my parents' house by 8 hoping to leave by 8:30 with my dad to pick up 20 boxes of fuji apples (the ones Sain sold to help pay for Camp Leo) at the Thurston County Fair Grounds. After a tubing mishap (just before we left) and a trip back home to grab pump supplies (yes, I know I should've had them with me) my dad and I were on the road by 9.

Sain and Aidan went to karate (thanks to grandma) and we (dad and I) picked up the boxes in Lacey and were back on the road by 10:30. By noon 9 of the 20 boxes were delivered!

Saturday afternoon I rushed around after a karate belt mishap (won't go into details about that) to get the kids ready for their karate pictures. In a rush to get out the door on time I ran out without my keys or cell phone. This wouldn't have been a problem (I really can live without my cell despite what some people might tell you) except the door locked behind me.

The neighbors (very reluctantly) let me use their phone to call for assistance and we made it to pictures on time. (side note -- as 1950's as it might seem, my neighbors do not approve of single parents. Their children aren't allowed in our yard because the don't want their children "exposed to my lifestyle." Part of me is offended and part of me is kind of flattered that they think I have an exciting lifestyle. Truthfully I have a pretty boring life!)

We got to pictures on time and they turned out great. I can't wait to get the prints back!

We got home in time to see some hockey. The Leafs won and it's truly sad how excited I am about 3 wins in October so far.

Sunday was spent exploring leaves (Aidan is studying seasons) in Enumclaw, making a St. Martin de Porres costume for Sain for the All Saint's Day prayer service, and washing large amounts of kindergarten mat covers (yippee -- the time the washer runs counts for volunteer hours!!)

Two highlights of Sunday -- Sain running around playing "diabetes scout" and doing a pretty good sales pitch for foil wrapped ketone strips. Most 9 year olds haven't really perfected the art of sarcasm but Sain definitely has. And Aidan jumping on my bed singing Metallica songs at the top of his lungs. He told me he's going to be in a band when he's in high school and I can come watch him play as long as I stand in the back and promise not to scare the girls away.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Was I supposed to chuckle at this? Because I did. I had this kind of weekend, too -- all sorts of little things going wrong. I started thinking I was losing my mind.

Your neighbors sound ... interesting. They need a reality check. (Worried about "your lifestyle." Ha.)

The Metallica story is priceless. What a cute boy.

Sherry said...

Hi Angie,
Your comment on my post led me to check out your blog. I've been reading various entries for the better part of an hour and I must say, we seem to have a few things in common, besides the obvious...

I'm from the Toronto area as well. I grew up in a small town called Port Dover on Lake Erie, just an hour and a half south west of Toronto. Lived in Toronto for four years in my twenties! I miss it a lot at times. I now live on Vancouver Island, so we are neighbours... sort of!

There are several other details you wrote about in your blog that struck me as so familiar and similar to my own experiences... but I digress.

I have a lot of respect for you as a single, working mom caring for two children, one of which has diabetes! You are AMAZING!!

I want to add you to my list of blogs I read, if that's ok. I think I'll be dropping in somewhat regularly to see how you and your beautiful children are doing.

Thanks for your comment. I'm so glad you found it helpful. The guilt issue is a tough one for us Moms.

All the best to you and yours!
Warm regards,
Sherry