Happy birthday to the most amazing girl I know.
It’s hard to put into words what I want to say to you. In so many ways you are my hero.
In nine years you have lived through and seen more than many adults. You’ve taken all the things that could’ve broken you and turned them around to make you stronger.
When people talk about strength, resilience and perseverance you are the first person that comes to my mind.
Here are just a few of the lesser known things I love about you:
- I love that, even though we were watching an NFL special on TV, you were born during an NHL commercial.
- I love that your first word was “booger”
- I love the fact that you were genuinely confused by the fact that all people didn’t speak French when you started preschool.
- I love that you whispered to me in the hospital bed literally hours after diagnosis, “Well, I guess I have a lot to learn about diabetes now.”
- I love that you try new things but aren’t afraid to admit when you don’t like them
- I love that you can genuinely keep a secret
- I love the determined smile on your face when you are doing martial arts.
- I love that you are a “tall kid” (because I was the “short kid”.)
Mostly, I love that you are you!
Thank you for being my daughter and thank you for teaching me the best things in life are unplanned!