Monday, April 21, 2008


Like most weekends, this one was crazy. Friday Sáin was the youth ambassador for the Tacoma Nordstrom Beat the Bridge kick off lunch. It amazes me how comfortable she is talking in front of a large group and telling her story. You put a microphone in that kid’s hand and she transforms into an entertainer/educator. Sáin is very good at telling her story to adults; she struggles a bit more with kids. I think Sáin doesn’t want to be perceived as different by her peers. Slowly this is changing… JDRF events really seem to help that. Sáin’s favorite part of the kick off lunches is the Q & A sessions. She loves answering questions and puts a lot of thought into what she says. My favorite answer was to the question, “What’s the first thing you will do when there’s a cure?” Her response, “Well, the first thing I will do is tell my mom so she can get me the cure.”

After Nordstrom’s we went up to Kaufer’s and bought Sáin’s veil and gloves for first communion. Pictures have been uploaded to our flickr account. I can’t believe how grown up she looks!

Sáin and Aidan were at their dad’s on Saturday so I tried to relax and do nothing. I’m not very good at that. I spent most of the day forcing myself to “relax” and watch hockey. Truthfully, I spent the day with the hockey games on but every few minutes I worried how Sáin’s blood sugars were doing. Once a month I have the same worries: did I packed enough food/juice to cover any lows? Will they remember to test before bed? Will they check in the middle of the night if need be? Will the carb calculations be correct? One weekend a month I am supposed to be able to relax and sleep but things don’t often turn out the way they are supposed to!

Sunday was bowling with St. Martin’s alums and seniors. It was a lot of fun and was great to see some old friends. If I were half the bowler my dad is I would’ve won first prize. I didn’t do too poorly but the competitive side of me knows I could’ve done better.

Okay, on to countdowns:

  • 13 days until Sáin’s first communion
  • 27 days until Beat the Bridge
  • 28 days until we’re in Toronto!!!
  • 45 days until Aidan is 5
  • And I have no idea how many days until it stops snowing in Seattle!

(picture is of Aidan at the kick off on Friday)

No comments: