Monday, April 14, 2008

Raise Your Voice for Type 1 Diabetes (and happy birthday dad!)

Today is Raise your Voice for Type 1 Diabetes Day. It is also my dad’s birthday – Happy Birthday, Dad! (powpowpow I got you!)

The point of today is to raise awareness about type 1 so I had all intentions of writing a poignant, well thought out post but alas, the midnight, 2 am, and 4:30 am blood sugar tests have taken a toll on my creativity but I will do my best.

(In case you’re wondering, the extra tests were because Sáin was in the low range of good at bedtime and I had a nagging feeling she was going to drop. She didn’t! I like it when the nagging feelings are wrong.)

Besides the obvious effects on our lives like the pokes, fears, doctor’s visits, ER visits, the nearly $20,000 we’ve spent in 3 years etc, diabetes gave me focus. I have a goal and I will do all I can to see that goal through. You could almost divide my life in two – pre-diabetes and post-diabetes. The pre-diabetes me was painfully private. I only let a few people in and NEVER shared my private pains. Now that’s all changed.

If it takes me blogging, talking, crying in front of strangers to get Sáin a cure then that is what I will do. I will now talk in front of a room of complete strangers and tell them about the most painful, scary day of my life. Now I will cry in front of senators and researchers.

Now it’s more pressing. My privacy doesn’t matter; Sáin matters and getting her a cure matters.

I can’t wait for the day I can go back to my private existence but until there's a cure I will continue to raise my voice for type 1 diabetes because Sáin is too important not to!

No comments: